Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Yarn Along: Oaklet update, "Man of Constant Sorrow" & 3 more sheep


Fast-paced days. Planning days. Cold mornings. Cool evenings. Hot tea. Cuddling days. Butternut Squash soup. Fiber Frenzy. Autumn is creeping its way into my world and I am loving it.

Joining in with Ginny from Small Things for a Yarny and book Linkup


ON THE NEEDLES:

I am still working on the Oaklet Shawl and it is coming along slowly but just lovely. I dyed this yarn (Merino Fingering weight) and I call it Tail Feathers (named after seeing my friend's gorgeous rooster)
I love the way some parts of the wool knit up in a  rainbow Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue , Purple.  

When I was small and someone would ask me what my favorite color is, I would always answer like this:  "RAINBOW is my favorite color!"

It is still true today





OUT OF THE DYE BATH:

This one is called "Man of Constant Sorrow"

I was distracted playing Eye Spy with the boys one very late night and was a tad bit worried how this was turning out but I ended up loving it. 
The colors are muted and they remind me of Autumn mornings


some nice Goldenrod yellow colors peeking throughout


I'm blending it with a chocolate brown and have cast on for a pair of pants for Willow Pea.

Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.
Pablo Picasso
 



OFF THE NEEDLES:

I added a newborn hat to go with the longies that I mentioned on the last Yarn Along.  A gift for a sweet friend, due in October


they are so tiny and it's hard to remember my baby being this small, only a year ago

harvest days


late summer days

nature walk days


Morning Glory days
ON THE BOOK SHELF:

apparently there are a few books with this title, or a similar title. I ordered it from the library and I fell in love with this book. It speaks of being different and amazing. Very fun picture book.
The Little Pea
By √Čric Battut, Translation by Sophie Pauze
2011, Sky Pony Press

"What if a pea doesn't really want to be like all the other peas in the pod? One little pea decides he is going to be different from his patch-mates and hops down from the pod in search of his dreams. In his travels he meets all manner of friends, from flowers to peacocks to elephants, and tries to add a little of each one to himself. By the time he returns to his family in the pea patch, he is a very strange looking pea indeed! All his family and friends laugh at the peculiar pea, but then something very extraordinary happens!"


IN THE BARNYARD:

My sweet Lumi 

Cai feeding the sheep

...a little treat

Cai Ocean and Lucretia Granny

My sweet Linda girl.  She was so skittish at first and now she is coming along nicely and even lets us feed her from our hands
"Children are remarkable for their intelligence and ardor, for their curiosity, their intolerance of shams, the clarity and ruthlessness of their vision."
Aldous Huxley
**I  love this shot of sheer joy on willow's face and Lucretia seems to be smiling as well!**

we've added 3 more girls (yearlings) to the herd:  Sally, Sarah, Sassy.  They are not quite warmed up to us yet but I have faith they will come around soon
I can't wait to hop into the yarn along links and see what you have been reading and yarning.  Happy September to you all!  Love, Shawna

9 comments:

Anke said...

LOVE the colors of your yarn!

Victoria said...

Your description of autumn creeping into your days makes me so jealous! Still 80 degree days here in the South.

Donna said...

Your Oaklet is going to be gorgeous in that yarn. And speaking of gorgeous - that skein you dyed is amazing!!!!

momto5 said...

that yarn is amazing! that is going to be a stunning shawl.

stitchandpurl said...

The colours of your yarns are all so beautiful. Just perfect for the beginning of autumn!

Mackenzie said...

Oh your oaklet is really looking beautiful! I have been wanting to make one, just as soon as I decide on the perfect yarn. :) I found you through the link up, I'm sharing toddler leg warmers and my mama scarf this week. Happy knitting!

momto5 said...

that yarn for the oaklet is stunning! you dye this so lovely.

Angela said...

Love those autumnal colors!

Kathy said...

What gorgeous colors you've chosen! Is the wool from your own animals? Just lovely! Glad I stopped by from the Yarn Along.