Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Yarn Along: Oaklet Shawl, tea baby and books

Linking up with Ginny at Small Things.
~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~ 


My tea baby.  She enjoys a great loose leaf African Bush tea with me every morning.  With Lemon.  

and with a stainless steel tea straw strainer (she likes to get messy, of course)

ON THE NEEDLES:
I am starting the Oaklet shawl for my Mama's birthday
Please shout out if you've knitted an Oaklet, I'd LOVE LOVE SUPER LOVE to see yours!
Link up!

I am not used to using such a skinny yarn but it makes me giddy using this merino mix fingering weight hand dyed by ME (me!!lol!) in the colorway "Tail Feathers" name taken from my friend Kerri's Americauna Rooster.  Here is a post about THAT.
a few more repeats..

in the Tail Feathers merino wool, super soft and silky



the Gnome abides!  (my son takes pic of this Mama-made needle felted (for Willow's birthday) gnome, in various places,  all the time, thought I'd add it to the Yarn Along)
ON THE NIGHT STAND:

I got a load of books from the library this week and here is the adult portion:
Flipping Out and Cut, Paste, Kill by Marshall Karp
Diary, a novel
Innocent by David Baldacci
Kill Alex Cross by Patterson (loved this!)
Barnyard in Your Backyard

the next 2 shots are the kids books, funny library books, with the most loved this time being: Knuffle
Bunny by Mo Willems and The Stupids Die.  My kids are goofballs like their  Mama  Papa. :)

I'm still plugging away on my baby girl's garter stitch sweater, I ran out of yarn and had to grab some more today, so hopefully will get done with that project this week.  I am really hopeful.  ha!

OFF THE NEEDLES (AND A WIP):
front of the sweater

you think this is purple??  me too.  But it's not.  Not at all.  It is actually 2 shades of hot pink and 2 shades of beautiful blue (turquoise and light sky blue) that makes the purple hue.  AMAZING!

OKAY, this shot is of an awfully gorgeous green, sort of a bright grass green (?), and it is Mercanized Cotton.  what does that mean?  NO CLUE!  what can I do with this yarn?? help help!?  I was gifted with a million skeins of cotton, all really small, smaller than fingering and maybe a bit smaller (some of them) than lace, sort of like a cotton embroidery thread.  Can I knit with them?  talk to me!

So, can't wait to see what you all are reading and yarning!

8 comments:

Mami Dearest said...

How cute is your tea drinking baby! Adorable!

Love the colors of the shawl. I have a hard time knitting with thin yarn. I love worsted or bulky!

Paula said...

Adorable :-) I like your yarn for the Oaklet Shawl, it's going to be gorgeous!

Donna said...

Look at all those books! I feel like such a slacker. Oaklet was the last shawl I knit. You can find pictures of it on my blog: http://knit1spin2.blogspot.com/2012/06/photo-shoot-check.html
It was a fun knit. I would definitely do it again.

momto5 said...

that oaklet shawl is going to be lovely in that yarn. the colors are amazing. makes me want to do that shawl. hmmmmm. ideas ideas.

Mistea said...

Your yarn is gorgeous - that will be one very pretty shawl.
I use those fine cottons for dishcloths, if they are really fine use multiple threads together.
Enjoy the reading - Looks like you have plenty of fun there.

Lori ann said...

love that your baby drinks that yummy tea with you! and the color of your oaklet is so pretty and autumn like, i've not made one but i think i have it queued!

tie-dyed doula said...

Thank you all!

The Sitting Tree said...

What a cute baby! For the cotton, mercerized means that a coating has been added to the thread to make it stronger. You could knit with several strands together and make a bazillion dishclothes:)