Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Yarn Along: newborn longies, books, Hibiscus...oh my!



~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us!~ from Ginny at Small Things

WIP (WORK IN PROGRESS):

I am still plugging away at the OAKLET SHAWL  from the Tail Feathers Fingering yarn that I dyed (you can read about that here) and I have gotten all of the front and one sleeve done on the sweet girl's sweater (my first sweater!!) you can read more about that here and here. I didn't take an update picture of that but I hope to have some progress done to report next week.  And no, I didn't get the OAKLET SHAWL (pattern here) done in time for my Mama's birthday, sigh.  But I will still gift it to her one of these days.  I think she will look really pretty in it.


Dye Bath Dreaming:
This Hibiscus was blooming when I got back from the beach and just totally stunned me.  I have my HIBISCUS from Mother's Day last year (pictures here) that surprised me with it's lovely color and braid, and the more "wilder" Hibiscus from my aunt Jilly planted outside my bedroom window but this LOVELY creature has blooms the size of dinner plates!  NO JOKE!  Like totally the size of a HEAD! ha!  and such a rich deep dark raspberry color, with some lighter pink in there and throughout.  Breathtaking!


 Anyway, I am rambling but I would like to gather the blooms as they fade down and make a dye bath for this raw Merino/Bamboo Fingering weight yarn that I have.  I am super excited to see what colors come from it. yay!
sort of a comparison of baby boy #3's head and the flower head.  HUGE!

 ON THE NIGHT STAND:

I am shameless, I know it.  He's scandalous, I know it.  He's talented and beautiful, I know it... and I  just can't help it.  I love Steven Tyler and I  JUST HAD to read his book.  Yip!

Waldorf inspired  recommendation for the boys and they liked it.  I LOVED IT.  It is about a little boy who's suit is getting too small so he shears his shears his lamb, and has to help to get the wool carded, spun, dyed, woven and made into a fine new suit. A book about WOOL!  Yippee!

Great book! Great Author! The illustrations are AMAZING.  Nuff Said! smile :)
 OFF THE NEEDLES:

While on vacation last week I made a pair of newborn longies for  a sweet friend (aka:Yo!) that cloth diapers too and she is due in  October. I since have cast on a hat to match.  I just have to weave in the ends and sew up the crotch but it's already blocked. I forgot to lanolize.  May be doing that and reblocking this week.  
I can't wait to see what you all are reading and yarning.  I hope you have a blessed week!

3 comments:

Corrabelle said...

I just love little longies. I haven't tried a pair yet, but I want to make a pair for my 10 month old daughter to wear this winter. They look so cozy!

Crunchy Momma said...

I love the longies. I have designed a few but they are crochet and I am itching to try a knitted pair for my baby due in just 4 weeks!! So cute and I love the yarn. What pattern did you use? Just love it

stitchandpurl said...

Pelle's new suit is a favourite around here too.
:)