Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Zucchini Pad Thai dish: a recipe

My friend Grace was visiting early one morning this week and we were discussing the over abundance of zucchini and squash from my garden and what variations of it that we could pull off for supper.  She said she made a lovely zucchini pasta dish and gave me the recipe.  After she left, I realized I had barely any of the ingredients and went to work in my kitchen, diligently looking for substitutes.  As it turns out, a fabulous dish was inspired from pantry and harvest goodies.
I had a bag of Pad Thai Rice Noodles.  I soaked them in cold water for 30 minutes and boiled them for 5.  Then the fun begins! (recipe at bottom)


pad thai noodles and tomatoes

carrots from the garden

tomato variety

saute!

yellow squash, patty-pan squash and zucchini

sauces

I have a really hard time with measurements because I cook with reckless abandon (just kidding.sort of.) but here is an "idea" of what transpires to make this dish.
ingredients:
Rice Noodles (I had white Pad Thai)
Peanut Sauce (about 3/4 cup)
Fish Sauce (about 1/4 cup)
Tamari Ginger Dressing ( a lot, maybe a 1/2 cup?)
Olive oil (enough to saute the veggies, generously!)
chopped zucchini and squash (2-3 of each, peeled)
garlic (a million cloves! j/k.  more like 8 cloves?)
onion (I used an entire onion, from our garden, so it was a tad small)
shredded carrot (from the garden again, so a tad small, about 10 of those small ones)
variety of tomatoes (if you can)  chopped and added after the rest is done cooking, your discretion as to the amount
Salt and pepper to taste
several leaves of fresh herbs (we used a ton of basil, oregano, lemon thyme, rosemary, hot pepper flakes, cayenne, a dash of allspice (Jamaican spice), and a dash of cinnamon for good measure)
fresh baby spinach
assembly:
You know its bad to cook Olive Oil on high heat, don't you? (it turns bad and rancid and toxic on high heat) so on med low, saute the onions and garlic and herbs/spices.  Then add the veggies.
On the other burner, boil the rice noodles (or noodles of your choice, really)
back to the saute:  add to the mix the dressings and get a nice sauce going.
Once everything is fine and dandy, dump into the drained pasta in a large bowl. Mix around and add the fresh tomatoes and spinach.
Easy peasy lemon Squeeeeezy.
I also added (after everything else) a variety of cheeses:  feta and extra sharp cheddar and shredded Monterrey Jack, omit if you want.
It was a lovely dish that everyone enjoyed (even my non-tomato eaters, they just picked them out)

enjoy!

No comments: