Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

YARN ALONG: Tail Feathers & Purple Rain, books, sweater

I am joining up with Ginny at Small Things again this week.  Yarn, projects and books.

"~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~" Ginny

I bartered with a friend who also loves hand-dyed yarn and here are the results:

OUT OF THE DYE BATH:

Merino fingering weight wool.  This one is called "Purple Rain"

This one is named after my dear friend Kerri's BEAUTIFUL Americana Rooster and it is called  "Tail Feathers"

just a cute shot of my sweetie pie helper

2 skeins of Purple Rain 560 yards each

left: Purple Rain/right:Tail Feathers

Tail Feathers drying on the porch
ON THE NIGHT STAND:

I've been reading a LOT lately:
 ~ 3 books on raising sheep (you can see the post about new "ladies" here) 
~3 Knitting books: The Yarn Girls' Guide To Kid Knits by Julie Carles and Jordana Jacobs, Knitting For Baby by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas, and Knit Baby Head & Toes! by Steege
~A foodie book: Toast:  The Story of a Boy's Hunger by Nigel Slater and it  is delightful!,
 ~2 James Patterson books (quick summer reads) 11th Hour (loved it) and Kill Me If You Can (loved it!)
 ~The first 2 knitting mysteries in one volume Knit One, Kill Two and Needled to Death (recipes and patterns included) by Maggie Sefton
~ and finally The Duggars 20 and Counting by Jim Bob Duggar

ON THE NEEDLES:


The yarn is a soft REALLY THICK wool. The pattern is from the book The Yarn Girls' Guide To Kid Knitting and the pattern is called "Master of Her Own Domain".  
 I tried to get a good shot of the colors but they may not show up in the pictures.  The colors are purple with blue and pink and turquoise and others intertwined. I totally love the colors...the thickness, not so much.


I am creating a sweater for Willow (MY FIRST! WAHOO!) and it is just plain ole garter stitch, nothing fancy, but a quick knit never-the-less. I welcome any "sweater knitting" tips you may have.
And those weird looking things in the picture you ask?  Well, they are just fancy tomatoes.  Black (purple) tomatoes that my husband grew. They are so cool though, they are black (purple) and then turn green or orange or red as they ripen.  They are small.  Bigger than a cherry tomato, though.  I love them.  I added them to homemade salsa and the colors involved made me smile and very happy.

So, what are you yarning or reading this week?  Link up with Ginny at Small Things so we can all take a gander ;)
Happy Wednesday!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Love your pile of books to read! And the yarn turned out so pretty!

a soulful life said...

What beautiful lush yarn! The colours are magical.

Kristen said...

The yarn is beautiful! You have lots going on with all those great books and the fancy tomatoes, etc. :)

Hannah said...

Lovely yarn - what bold colours. I love the tail feathers name - such a good match!

tie-dyed doula said...

Thank you gals!!! your comments made me smile :)

little macaroon. said...

Loved Nigel Slater's Toast when I read it last year. Heartbreaking in many ways too.
Your blog name really caught my eye on the yarn along list this week as I've been up to my elbows in tie dying ... blog post on that to follow in the next couple of days! In the meantime, happy to have stumbled on your blog this way!

momto5 said...

your yarn looks amazing. and man, you have alot of books going right now. lol

meghann said...

I *love* your hand-dyed yarn. One of these days (maybe next summer, if I have time…) I want to do more of my own dyeing. I've done some, but only solid and tonal colors. I'd love to find my way to doing some of the beautiful stuff you have here! xo

tie-dyed doula said...

Thank you so much!! I am tickled how the colors turned out. Fingers crossed for a Tail Feather Shawl for my Mama soon. I am not very good at following an intricate pattern with the Littles running around, I get distracted :)

Lori ann said...

oh your yarn is gorgeous! and your little sweetie helper, so darling! have fun with the sweater, looks great so far!