Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Potato Squash Bake: a recipe

This week I made a layered dish of veggies, herbs, meat and cheese.  It was wonderful and I wanted to share the recipe with you.  My husband harvested a ton of squash and zucchini.  I really was tickled to be able to get most of the ingredients from the garden.


Ingredients:


Potatoes thinly sliced (I used red potatoes)
squash thinly sliced
zucchini thinly sliced
onions thinly sliced
2 cups or more of your favorite cheese(s) (I used Swiss, shredded and feta, crumbled and Parm, shredded)
3-4 Tbs of flour (I used Gluten free flour, almond flour but any will do the trick)
1 pound of bacon
herbs (I used basil, many kinds of basil, rosemary, thyme and a ton of oregano)
butter (I used a few pats of real butter, pretty much room temp)
Salt and pepper to taste (I also threw in a few shakes of cinnamon and cayenne pepper but totally optional)
fresh garlic (I used a ton of garlic cloves because we LOVE garlic in everything)

You could totally make this without any bacon or meat at all, but I have 2 men in my family that believe a day without meat is a day without sunshine, so I added the bacon to make it yummy for all.
we buy good pork, if there is such a thing, from a local farmer that takes care  of his pigs with pride and respect.  If you can get your hands on some bacon from a good dude with healthy pigs, do it.  You won't be sorry ;)

slice the potatoes, zucchini and squash thin

lay them in the bottom of a baking dish, some can overlap
do the same with the squash

herbs, onions and veggies



after layering the veggies, I added the fresh basil as a layer

shredded Swiss

here is the first layer assembled

I had a cutey pie helper





out of the oven, bubbly and delish!

cut it in wedges, like a torte



So, the assembly is like this:

put the thinly sliced potatoes down, then the squash, then the zucchini, then the onions.  Add some fresh herbs (basil for me) as the next layer. The next layer is bacon.
  In a separate bowl, put the cheeses, the flour, butter, fresh herbs, S&P, and minced fresh garlic and mix it all around until well blended.
Add a layer of that over everything.
Then start layering again. Top layer should be the cheese butter herb mix. (I used extra cheese at this point)
Bake at 375, covered,  for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
It is soooo yummy.  It might not win the "pretty" award but let me tell you, the taste is divine.  :)  enjoy!

No comments: