Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Yarn Along Linkup: books, knitting (a major funny fail), veggies


I am linking up with Ginny today for the knit along.  ~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~Ginny from Small Things

In the fall my husband brought home this load of berries.  I painstakingly plucked each one to make a dye bath for a lovely bunch of raw colored wool.








And here is the final result (the yellow one)
I am very pleased with how they turned out.  I was a little worried because in the middle of the dye process, because we had to take an unexpected emergency trip to the ER that lasted the rest of the evening. :)  but the dyeing worked out and that makes my heart happy.  (the parties involved in the ER visit are well and dandy, too)

Just a shot of my little cowgirl 

ON THE NIGHTSTAND:


I've been on a Patterson kick lately.  I zoomed through "Now You See Her"  (of the drama crime fame) and now I have just started "Guilty Wives" and it hooked me from the very first line. I'm about 1/2 way through.

BUT THIS BOOK, oh my!  This book is #13 in the series. That series that I have discussed on here before, that series that stays in my heart as I am totally attached to the characters and think about them all of the time, that series that I believe should be required reading for EVERYONE. Can you tell that I love these books?  Love is an understatement.  When I saw the new one out at the library the other day, I actually SQUEALED out loud, in the library, and even smiled at the librarian when she gave me the evil curious "eye".  THAT is how happy the books in this series make me.  Smith is brilliant and these books are full of charm and sweet stories. The setting is Botswana, Africa. Mma Romastwe and Mma Makutsi are running a Private Detective Agency and have all sorts of witty and intriguing things to discover. More than that, the writing is so vivid and full of heart felt prose, one feels they are right there in the bush, under the Acacia trees.
I hope he continues to write more of these, forever.  SMILE.

ON THE NEEDLES:

I am still working on this little bag for Willow.  It has turned into a NOT so little bag for Willow.  I even imagined it last night as NOT a bag at all, maybe it will end up being a shawl.  I think, know, hope I can turn it into a shawl for Willow. (snort!)


It keeps growing and growing. The yarn is a lovely soft wool. My original plan was to felt it down after knitting it but I am a little afraid that the lovely subtle colors in the blue will be lost in the felting.  I don't know yet, I'll figure it out hopefully soon.



OFF THE NEEDLES:

SERIOUS FAIL!  Are you familiar with Sackboy from Little Big Planet? This is my FAILED attempt at knitting him for my boys.  I decided, on a whim, to make him red (he is NOT red) and to give him a happy full mouth smile.  It didn't work out so well.  Sigh.  

my boys put a little Aviator hat on him

He also has arms and legs (the real Sackboy, that is) and this little guy only has one arm so far
Just look at that mouth!  Those FISH LIPS!  geeeeesh!  


I stuffed him with recycled wool socks that had holes in them and he really is a sweet cuddle buddy, even though he now looks less like a Sackboy and more like a tortured being in a horror film.

And my boys love him anyway. 
Thumbs up, Dude!


he goes on many adventures with them

another thumbs up shot
I've also been on a toadstool knitting kick.  They are easy and sweet and I still have tons of the red wool to use up, so I keep cranking them out for the Nature Table.




OUT OF THE DYE BATH:

Here is a few shots of the recently dyed projects I've been working on

this one is a bamboo/merino blend and it feels silky and lovely and it is called MUDnight Blues
Oh, the tangled webs we weave :)

This one is my favorite so far, it needs a name. I love the many colors poking out everywhere.

another batch of MUDnight Blues with a different yarn


FROM THE GARDEN:

My husband and middle sons harvested these beauties one night this week AT 11PM (!) in the near pitch dark of the night.  My youngest sweet boy said he was a little "skeeered" but was yanking and unearthing these carrots for me anyway.

souls mates, veggie love, they were "made" for each other  

onions, he was practicing his "braid" with the greens
So that's it for this post. I can't wait to sit down and go through the Knit Along linky list and see what you all have been up to this week!  Happy knitting and reading!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, I tried to make the sack boy too. Here is mine:
http://plain-jane-remembrances.blogspot.ca/2012/01/using-what-i-have.html

Natalie said...

I can't seem to get to the mason jar cozy from my sidebar either...I will check out how to fix it. In the meantime, here is the link:
http://plain-jane-remembrances.blogspot.ca/2012/04/free-pattern-mason-jar-cozy.html

Angela said...

Oh, my, you have been busy! The natural dye job is lovely. I've only ever dyed with food coloring but am very interested in natural dyes.
How did you get that bright pink?