If you've never made Oobleck, you have GOT to do it and you are in for a treat.Oobleck was the name given to a type of slime in a Dr. Seuss book that was capable of gumming up a whole kingdom. The oobleck the you can make for a science project isn't gummy, but it does have interesting properties of both solids and liquids. It normally behaves like a liquid or jelly, but if you squeeze it in your hand, it will seem like a solid.
|its 2:1 . 2 parts corn starch, 1 part water, or something like that|
- Mix 1 part water with 1.5 to 2 parts cornstarch. You may wish to start with one cup of water and one and a half cups of cornstarch, then work in more cornstarch if you want a more 'solid' oobleck. It will take about 10 minutes of mixing to get nice homogeneous oobleck.
- Mix in a few drops of food coloring if you want colored oobleck.
- Oobleck is a type of non-Newtonian fluid called a dilatant.
- If you slowly lower your hand into oobleck, it will sink, but it is difficult to quickly remove your hand (without taking all the oobleck and its container with you).
- If you squeeze or punch the oobleck, the starch particles will not move out of the way quickly, so the oobleck will feel solid.
- Oobleck can be molded in a container, but when the mold is removed, the oobleck will lose its shape.
|at least an HOUR of fun for the whole crew of all ages|
|It is really cool. First it is a solid then it quickly melts into a liquid!|
so freaking cool! instant fun!
|starting to melt into liquid FAST|
|she ate a bunch of it, Oobeck for lunch anyone?|
Oobleck is a non-newtonian fluid. That is, it acts like a liquid when being poured, but like a solid when a force is acting on it. You can grab it and then it will ooze out of your hands. Make enough Oobleck and you can even walk on it!
Oobleck gets its name from the Dr. Seuss book Bartholomew and the Oobleck where a gooey green substance, Oobleck, fell from the sky and wreaked havoc in the kingdom. Here the Oobleck will be made in a bowl and will likely make a mess, but only because you can get carried away playing with it.
Its GREAT to be a Homeschooler. Or a Mama. Or a friend, an aunt, a care provider. a lover of children. a scientist...or any of the above. :)