Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring art, history and literature fun

We did another Chalk Pastel art/spring/nature/science lesson.  To see the other one, click here.  We are really enjoying our time with chalk pastels!
We've got these really cool cards that show different birds from our area.  I LOVE them!  On the front is a picture of the bird, its eggs size, color and shape and on the back there are facts about each bird: what it eats, where it lives, its size etc...
We decided to learn about the American Robin for this study.  Those sweet little birds are abundant in our yard and our area, so I thought we should start with them.
We pulled out those lovely chalk pastels, an old sheet (its a messy art, ya know?) and some construction paper to begin our lesson. Can you "hear" the giddiness all over this post?!  I.was.giddy.  :) still am.
Zarian's rendition of the American Robin.  lovely!

Cai decided to draw some grass and the American Robin's eggs :)

MY American Robin (ahem)  :) I couldn't help myself

the boys working on their projects

Willow being...Willow....during the lesson.  My sweet girl.


just for fun, I am showing you this picture of Willow dressed up  in a Whitney Houston coat, I mourned her loss for some time then I realized that I will one day meet her in heaven ;) I am at peace now, and so is Whitney, I am sure of it.
Whitney probably didn't wear LONGIES with her fancy jacket, but hey, my girl Willow lives in longies ;)

Willow and Daddy

We studied Africa.  We study Africa all of the time.  My BFF is a missionary in Africa (yearly) and  there are so many wonderful things to learn about that continent that we just keep an open-ended unit study going on around here. We read "Head, Body, Legs.  A Story from Liberia" by Won Ldy Paye



Such a fun little story and we decided to do a little project to go along with it.

gluing the body parts on as the story progresses




the one on the left is baby boy #3's.  He decided the "body" needed some breasts "cause how else will  it nurse the babies???"  love that boy, my Cai Ocean!
We use the" Story of the World" for History and we have been learning about Egyptians.  We decided, to go along with the studies, that a pyramid was in order.
glue, sugar cubes and card stock






The Great Pyramid even has its own watchdog. Near the Great Pyramid, the Egyptians built a mysterious monument shaped like a Sphinx (an imaginary animal with a man's head and a lion's body) We now call this giant limestone animal the Great Sphinx. Many people believe that the Sphinx was built to protect the pyramids.

We needed a Sphinx!   the duck became the Sphinx.  giggle.

the boys were quite proud of their building. I was proud too :)

Archaeologists believe that the pointed stone at the  top of the Great Pyramid even had a golden cap on it. The white stone and the golden top are gone now, but when the Great Pyramid was first built, it shone in the sun.  

“You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. ~Clay P. Bedford

“I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.” ~ Albert Einstein


No comments: