Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Knit Along Link Up: Kanoko Pants

I am joining Ginny at the Yarn Along:

What I am making:
Beet Kvass


 Beet Kvass is fermented beets, taken as a tonic daily. I got the recipe from one of my VERY favorite books: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. The drink (tonic) is valuable for its medicinal qualities and used as a digestive aid. It is loaded with vitamins, nutrients and is an excellent blood tonic, promotes regularity, alkalizes the blood, cleans the liver, a good treatment for kidney stones and other ailments, aids digestion and many other things. The fermentation process of beets (lacto-fermented foods) gets the digestive juices flowing and helps aid in putting back good bacteria and helping to heal the gut (*disclaimer: I am only quoting others and I am not a Dr, therefore I do not claim that this drink will heal  you and you must always consult your Dr or do other research etc...etc...blah blah)  Many scientific studies have demonstrated that beets have a regenerating effect on the body (from Annelies Schoneck De Crudites Toute L'Annee)
Anyway, it is VERY beautiful and lovely and I am on day 2 of the fermentation process.  The recipe calls for Whey, which I made 2 days ago by straining organic yogurt to separate the whey. I used the leftovers to make homemade Cream Cheese.  

What I am reading:

 Right now I am finishing up I Know This Much is True  by Wally Lamb.  I love love love this book!

I also glanced through Chicks With Sticks Guide to Knitting.   I can't wait to try some of the patterns.

I am going to start The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.  I have heard a lot of good reviews about this book, can't wait to start it tonight.

Lastly, I AM SUPER EXCITED about reading Sassafrass, Cypress & Indigo  BY Ntozake Shange
I opened up a random page and found the most LOVELY paragraph!  The title of the paragraph is "Emergency Care of Wounds That Cannot Be Seen" : " Hold the victim gently, Rock in the manner of a quiet sea. Hum softly from your heart. Repeat the victim's name with love." .....more...more....lovely words..."New associations should be made with caution, more care for herself."

Oh my!  Isn't that just beautiful?  The words give me chills and I CANNOT wait to dive headfirst into this book!

Top books reading to the boys today are:
~ Peter in Blueberry Land by Elsa Beskow.  You know, ANYTHING by Elsa Beskow is the worth reading to my children and does a happy dance in my soul as well.
~Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems


                                                              On my needles:

 A pair of butter soft hand dyed LONGIES for Willow.  I love the longies.  They did NOT turn out wonky like the last pair that I made (you can see them here) but I do NOT like the seed stitch.  Well, I DO love the way the seed stitch LOOKS but not KNITTING the seed stitch.  It drives me batty. An entirely new type of batty.

I tried to position the longies to take a picture.  How, do tell, can you position pants for a picture?!  Don't they look embarrassed or something?  ha!
This *may* show you a better view of the beautiful colors of this Baby Alpaca yarn.  Its a purple-ish color with hues of red and blue poking out here and there.  Totally beyond my scope of imagination to describe these luscious colors and its softness.  I.am.in.LOVE.

Now, I just need to fold down the ribbed band and add an i-cord /drawstring to it for completion.


I just thought the color was similar to the beet kvass and took a shot of that, because well, I like colors and all ;)


Happy knitting, cool knitters!  I can't wait to visit the "link up" and see what you guys have on the nightstand and on the needles.  

3 comments:

cpcable said...

Your longies are beautiful...that color is to die for! Isn't it a great pattern? I too love the way seed stitch looks, but find it a little tedious. This pattern had just the right amount for me. :)

Justine said...

Beautiful! Shawna, I highly suggest using elastic for the waist. I once got a pair with elastic and I have been hooked ever since! Makes changing easier, no cord for little ones to pull, and a much ,ore comfy and better fit! Use a 1"wide non-roll or pick up some buttonhole elastic for an even wider size range!

tie-dyed doula said...

yes justine! you are absolutely right! I need to look into that, for sure! love ya!