Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

BIG NEWS ON THE HOME FRONT

So much has been happening lately on the home front and since I've been forgetting about my blog really busy, I'll just give you a quick update.  FIRST OF ALL We have exciting news ...


Well, guess whose having a baby?  HINT: She is the owner of this blog and mama to 3 boys... Yup, you guessed it!  WE ARE!!! and I am so thrilled!  I am 25 weeks and due in December.  Now you know that we have 3 boys and this time we are not finding out the sex of the baby, so the gender will make it an even better surprise.


Psalm 127:3
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.



This is my BFF Ronda Roo and my son Zay. Oh, how they light up my soul like a matchstick. If you've been reading my previous posts, Roo has been on 2 previous missionary trips (Honduras and Montana) and she went on two AMAZING missionary trips this summer 2010.  The first was to Domincan Republic to give aid to the Haiti Refugees and the 2nd (just 2 weeks ago) was to Swaziland, Africa.  The long version I will save for another post, the short version is this:  This has been her dream (Africa).  I have watched God work through her life in leaps and bounds!  I have watched others lives transformed because of God's light in her. It's extremely hard for her to process all of the things she's seen on these trips into actual WORDS but please take a moment and thank God for her life and her following of Jesus to help "the least of these" and continue to pray for God to use her in future trips.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40



Sixteen years ago (Septemeber 7th), I gave birth to this handsome slice of humanity.  Yes, bittersweet indeed.  My heart aches knowing that adulthood is.right.there.around.the.bend.  I nursed this little fellow until he was 2, carried him around in my arms when he was WAY past the weight limit to do that, read the same book 42 days in a row and then I blinked.  Now he is 16 years old!  Whew! I can't even describe the love that I have for him.  Now I'll get a tissue to catch all of these crocodile tears rolling down my face  move on to more short updates going on.


Basil drying galore, roasting a "gazillion" tomatoes for winter storage, knitting like a mad woman (because I am soooo slow still, it takes forever to knit something and I want so badly to finish the baby things that I dream about).

Recipe for roasting tomatoes (recipe by aunt Jillius Maximus):

(I've been using little yellow pear tomatoes but any will do) 
~ cut the little tomatoes in 1/2 and put them face down on a cookie sheet with olive oil, garlic and whatever other herbs you want (today I'm using basil) and sea salt. Roast for about an hour.



Then pinch the skins off (takes like 2 seconds).


Then bag them up in freezer bags for storage or can them.


I prefer to freeze them because that way I don't lose the vitamin/mineral content in the tomatoes and herbs that is lost in the high heat from the canning process.


You can do sauces (spaghetti, salso, chili etc) like this too and just freeze them in jars.


You can also blend up the tomatoes and made a paste after roasting also.
NOTE:
I usually roast them for about 1 hour at 300 degrees. Then when you take them out of the oven, while they are still kind of hot, you can just 'pinch' the skins off of them. They come off really easily and you can avoid the "boil and peel method" that drives me nuts.



This way, the skins just come right off easily.


you can do any tomatoes this way too, not just the tiny ones. They are really good because they are soaking up all those herbs and salt and garlic and roasting in their own juices and it makes the flavor "pop"


yummy! Give it a try, I think you'll like it


1 comment: