Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

Reusing plastic greens containers

My household goes through about 3 of these containers a week. These plastic lovelies originally hold organic baby spinach, romaine and spring mix. I couldn't help cringing at the thought of throwing them away (times 3!) every week, so I started using them in various places throughout my house. They wash up awesome in the sink (don't try the dishwasher, they melt-yikes) and they actually hold up great through a lot of wear and tear.

If you are looking for something to do with the plastic containers holding your greens besides recycling (or trying to extend their life-use before recycling-which we know energy and resources are used by recycling), then try these ideas to start REUSING them. They have worked extremely well for holding a multitude of things in my home-they have lids! Some things that have taken our greens' tubs to a new level are...

holders for:

~crayons, markers, chalk, paints
~hair clips and twisties
~rubber bands and kitchen gadgets
~tiny toys that the baby should not have near his mouth-hee hee-but 6 yr old can not imagine getting rid of
~bills
~envelopes and stamps
~extra pens and pencils
~spare change (if there is any)

Besides teaching our little ones to not waste and to reuse, what types of things would you be able to use them for?

3 comments:

Bhuvan Chand said...

Nice Article. Keep it up. But I think this is copy of your topic recycling process

kris said...

i was just thinking about this the other day w/ some plastic wear that we use a lot of. things that salads and stuff have come o/o. we use it for everything from left overs to hair ties to bug homes. my youngest is always capturing some sort of something!!

it's funny b/c we've only been recycling for about a year, but my kids are SO into it. i went to throw something o/ the other day b/c i had already checked and it wasn't recyclable, and try as i might, couldn't think of anything to reuse it for. my 9 yo practically yelled at me, "mom! it's plastic! put it in the bin!" i was like, 'it's not recyclable." he didn't belive me, had to check for himself:) it's great tho, glad they get it.

Jenn said...

duh! why didn't I think of this we go thru a few a week too, and I stupidly buy plastic bins the same size to hold the things you've mentioned... thanks