Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

BOOKS; 1, 000 GIFTS...CONTINUED






ATTITUDE-GRATITUDE; Missions for everyday life.


Our hearts have no room for complaining and grumbling, when they are filled with thanks.

Every day gifts from the Lord. Things that may not seem like gifts until we start listing things that we are thankful for.


All of a sudden, gifts are all around us. Maintaining us. Embracing us. Smiling at us.


I have been slacking on listing my gratitude on this site but I have been thankful everyday, listing constantly in my head.


NUMBER 13 ON MY LIST OF 1000 GIFTS:


BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS. I admit-I am OBSESSED! I have to have tons of them around me, in my bag, in my car, by my bed (and in my bed-smile), on the couch, on the floor in stacks, on the table.


While I don't have tons of time, actually very little time, to read, I have skillfully learned to sneak tidbits of reading and accumulate a few paragraphs here and there.


Two sentences while walking from my desk to the door @ work, on break @ work, a few bits of a paragraph while eating dinneror snacking, before falling asleep.

Eventually, I have learned, these tidbits add up and I am getting the book finished before I know it.



Also, I don't always feel like reading a novel. I don't always feel like reading about birth (but most times I do-hee hee), I like a variety. (You know, like some days are "jeans" days and some days are "sweats" days, others are for dressing up a little?) So...I switch up what I am reading almost daily.


So, my current list goes like this:



INTO THE WILD-I HAVE BEEN OBSESSED WITH THIS TRUE STORY AFTER WATCHING THE MOVIE
I have been grieving this man's death (and no, his death is not a secret-it is
told on the first page) and I have been wanting to know more and more about his life. I am so intriqued and interested and totally dismayed, actually relating to and excited by this story.



RAW-THE LIVING FOOD DIET-I have been drinking raw green shakes daily for 3 months-live foods make you feel alive, dead foods make you feel...?



MOTHERWIT-Granny midwife tells her life in this Biography



THE MIDWIFE'S TALE-I really loved this book-set in the early 1900's. Use of herbs and traditional ways of using and loving a midwife's experience. Some parts bothered my but I just chalk it up to the era. Also, this is a novel, fictional...but some of the knowledge gained to write the book came from tales from the elderly-which I could stay awake all night listening to tales from the past.



A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS-haven't read this one yet-can't wait-it was listed on a book review as one of the top books to read in June 2008



THE FARMER AND THE OBSTETRICIAN-havent' read yet-but this title speaks for itself...crisis in our modern maternity care



THE AUDACITY OF HOPE-Got to read all about my man Obama (haven't started yet)



THE WELL TRAINED MIND-very GREAT resource list-very interesting way of teaching a Classical Education. Totally well written, detailed and supa-informative! I am more of an "unschooler" with my 5 year old but I think I will incorporate the two...can that be done? We shall see.




NUMBER 14 ON MY LIST OF 1000 GIFTS:



THE LIBRARY-'NUFF SAID!



I love the library-I just got back into using the library-I just think it is supa-cool to get on the net, order all the books that I want to read, and walk right in, only to have them stacked all up nice and pretty with my name on them. "Thank you very much, I hope your eve is wonderful" and walk right out-no time wasted a bit!




2 comments:

kris said...

oo, i think i need to look for a couple of those. i have A Midwives Tale, it's kind of a journal of a midwife from that same era. my dh found it for a quater at a library sale. but the novel looks a little more fun:)

Bridge said...

I am a library nut too!