Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

BEING BORN IS IMPORTANT!!

I just read a poem listed on a midwife's blog. She has a wonderful way with words...and the poem is touching.

Being Born Is Important

Being born is important

You who have stood at the bedpostsand seen a mother on her high harvest day,

the day of the most golden of harvest moons for her.

You who have seen the new wet childdried behind the ears,

swaddled in soft fresh garments,

pursing its lips and sending a groping mouthtoward the nipples where white milk is ready~

You who have seen this love's paydayof wild toil and sweet agonizing~

You know being born is important.You know nothing else was ever so important to you.

You understand the payday of love is so old,

So involved, so traced with the circles of the moon,

So cunning with the secrets of the salts of the blood~

It must be older than the moon, older than the salt.

~Carl Sandburg

Well now, I have chills and tears from reading this poem. I feel like it is not that unfamilar to me but somehow I don't remember how or when I read it but apparently it didn't touch me as much as it does right now.

What wonderful poetry and so lovely to come from a male's perspective...

3 comments:

kris said...

oooo, very sweet...

midwife of the plains said...

Thank you tie-dyed doula for your appreciation of my written words as well as this lovely totally birth-reverent poem written by Carl Sandburg. His reverence for birth is so alive and vivid. So visceral. I often read this poem aloud at Birthing Ways. I want to get it back into circulation.

Brenda

Iris said...

Wow, so very sweet!