Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

KEEP YOUR POLICIES OFF OF MY BODY

I read a bumper sticker that stated “KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF OF MY BODY”

I am making a bumper sticker that says: “KEEP YOUR POLICIES OFF OF MY BODY!! OFF OF MY MOTHERS, MY SISTERS, MY FRIENDS, MY DAUGHTERS, MY GRANDDAUGHTERS AND ANY FEMALE STRANGERS’ BODIES!!”

I have recently been made aware of a friend’s situation. She had a previous necessary cesarean. She is now pregnant again. She told her OB of her wishes to birth vaginally this time. He told her “no way”

“We don’t do that @ this hospital.” No VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean)!!

“IT’S AGAINST POLICY”

She was made aware of other choices (not by her OB). Home birth, HBAC and so forth. She does not have the money to pay for midwifery services. Her man won’t agree to an unassisted birth.

SHE HAS NO OTHER CHOICE RIGHT NOW THAN TO BIRTH FEARFULLY BY A SURGEON AND A SCALPEL.

How damaging is our society? How mutilating, abusive, evil, altered, perverse, mishandled, miscalculated, misconstrued and ungrounded ARE THESE POLICIES?????

I was speechless. I lost sleep. I have no alternative for her.

I am RARELY speechless.

I dream of her going into labor, entering the hospital at 9 cm, pushing her baby out. How unfair and disruptive is that?

Please, tell me what to advise. Help me pray for her and her baby.

Help me change these policies. Help me make a ripple and cause a wave. We, as women and mothers and sisters and granddaughters and friends and strangers are THE BIRTHING PEOPLE.

HOW DO WE STAND BACK AND TAKE THIS? WE ARE THE CONSUMERS!!!!!

WITHOUT US, THERE IS NO MATERNITY CRISIS. WHAT CAN WE DO??? PLEASE, LET’S GROUP OUR VOICES TOGETHER. LETS CAUSE A TIDAL WAVE…

KEEP YOUR POLICIES OFF OF MY BODY!!!!

No comments: